Horrible news and painful images are pouring out of Ukraine every day now, as the European country of more than 40M people struggles to survive and repel Russia’s lethal invasion.
The images and news from inside Russia are also disturbing as the Kremlin is viciously attacking anti-war protestors, closing media outlets, and tightening its grip before it loses its grip completely.
Everyone loses in war.
Here’s a quick snapshot of what the Russian people and economy are losing today.
- Visa and Mastercard announced they are suspending operations in Russia, widening earlier moves that blocked multiple Russian banks.
- PayPal shut down its services in Russia.
- Microsoft is suspending new sales of its products and services in Russia.
- Oracle is halting its Russian operations.
- Exxon announced it is stopping its Russian oil operations and will “make no further investments in the country.”
- Ford closed its three plants in Russia, indefinitely.
- Soccer’s governing bodies, FIFA and UEFA, have suspended Russian clubs and national teams from all competitions.
For a more complete list, see this frequently updated page on LinkedIn.
Holding Company Lets Go
WPP is closing Russian operations. While WPP’s business in Russia only accounted for 0.6% of WPP’s net sales last year, it employs 1,400 employees there. WPP agencies with offices in Russia include GroupM, Wunderman Thompson, and VMLY&R.
“Our Russian colleagues have been dedicated and valued members of the WPP family for a very long time and I deeply regret the impact this decision will have on them,” said CEO Mark Read.
No Lions for Russia
Cannes Lions will not accept submissions or delegates from Russian organizations to this year’s International Festival of Creativity and its associated awards programs.
The Lions will also waive all fees for Ukrainian creatives who are able to attend the festival and refund awards submission fees from Ukrainian agencies.
Ukrainian Ad-Makers Fight Russian Propaganda
Several agencies—including Banda Agency, Grape, and Bickerstaff.734—are working with the Ukraine government to target Russians who they say may not know the truth about the attacks.
Banda Agency has also put together a list of ways people can show their support.
When Will Anyone ‘Enjoy Ukraine’ Again?
Before the war, Banda Agency worked with the Ukrainian government to promote tourism.
Here’s an additional tourism promo from another source.
What a beautiful, culturally rich nation. And what a tragic time this is for Ukraine, Russia, their European neighbors, and the world.